Friday, June 19, 2009

First post! Now, what is this place?

Welcome to Caveman Cuisine, the home of caveman-friendly recipes.

What do I mean by that?

Imagine, for a minute, that you are a "pre-civilization" human, living somewhere between 2,000,000 and 10,000 years ago. What's for breakfast? Odds are that it's not a bagel, and it's not a "breakfast sandwich" mass-produced in the back kitchen of a plastic-fronted family dining establishment.

In point of fact, for most of the time humans have been on this planet, our diets have been dramatically different from what we eat today. Some people theorize that we still shouldn't be eating this way - that the refined flours and sugars that comprise so much of our diets are not doing us any favours in the health department, and we should return to a pre-agricultural-revolution way of eating. This idea is called many things by many people, but a lot of people refer to it as the "paleo diet" or the "caveman diet". There are a lot of books available on the subject, and a lot of resources available on the web, if you are interested in the theory and its implications.

What this blog is about is the food. Specifically, I'll be highlighting recipes and ingredients that are, for the most part, "paleo-friendly". Now, I'll be up-front about one thing right now - even among followers of the paleo diet, there are differences of opinion about what the diet should and should not allow. For example, some people say dairy products should be disallowed. Personally, I'm a big fan of cheese, so that's not going to happen. On the other hand, some adherents to the diet say that artifical sweeteners are fine, whereas I prefer to strictly limit the amount of sweeteners that I consume. Similarly, I avoid bananas (they are very starchy), but some people think they have a place in the paleo diet.

I guess that what I'm saying is that, if you're searching for a definitive answer to the question "What is the paleo diet?", I can't help you. But I can give you some delicious recipes to try, and isn't that worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment