Sunday, July 12, 2009

The salad days, not just for summer

During the week, I have to work "in the city", and for simplicity and cost reasons I usually take my lunch. Now, one of the things about the paleo diet (versus standard "low-carb" diets like Atkins) is that I'm not quite as worried about carbs, as long as they're the right sort of carbs. Most vegetables, for example, are quite all right. As such, I often take a rather large salad. I used to take a leafy green mix, but these days I've been taking something somewhat chunkier. Salad doesn't have to mean iceberg lettuce smothered in some creamy dressing - take it to the next level!

Ingredients
  • 1 English cucumber
  • 3 stalks celery
  • 1/2 cup mini tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrot
  • 1 cup broccoli and/or cauliflower pieces
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Instructions
  1. Chop all the vegetables up into "bite-sized" pieces (half inch or so, depending on the size of your bite) and toss them together in a container.
  2. Combine the oil and vinegar and shake well, then pour it over the salad when you're ready to eat.
  3. Eat.
Of course, this salad doesn't have much (if anything) in the way of protein. You can toss some tuna or sliced chicken breast on top, add sunflower seeds or chopped nuts, or find other ways to add protein. You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment