Monday, August 3, 2009

Make your own chicken stock! Save money! Get rich! Retire early!

The other day, in the soup posting, I said I should post a chicken stock recipe. Well, I could do that, or I could just link to one that someone else has put up. The latter is simpler for me, and I'm not sure there's much I could do to improve on the recipe there. Just keep in mind that when he's talking about "chicken carcasses" he means what's left over after you've taken away what most people consider to be the edible bits. You can sometimes get raw carcass pieces from your butcher, if they sell individual chicken breasts to the general public (and if you have a butcher - they seem to be a dying breed, anymore).

Another tip (no pun intended) is to freeze the tips from the wings when you make chicken wings, for later use in a batch of stock.

And, of course, pretty much the same technique should work with a turkey carcass, should you ever run across such a beast...

No comments:

Post a Comment